Friday, November 9, 2012

I have finished the rough shaping of my first batch of knives I think are good enough to send off for heat treating. It's good to leave them a little oversized and remove the rest after they are heat treated. This is the overall final shape, but the lines will move around some (hopefully a little neater in the end) and they will be taken to a finer finish.

This is one of three knives of this design I am currently waiting to get back from the heat treat facility. They are made from 3/16" precision ground A2 tool steel.

 
 
 
I also have one from my old design coming back. I don't expect it to turn out as well, but I figured I might as well send it with the others and see what I could do with it. Unless something extreme happens finishing them up, I do expect to offer a couple of these for sale. I will have to wait and see exactly how good they turn out before I set a price. The blades are about 4 1/4" long, and they will most likely have black canvas micarta handles and black kydex sheaths. As my skill level, and in turn the quality of my work, improves (hopefully) the prices will get higher. So if these turn out it could be a chance to get a very good price on a completely functional hand made knife due to some minor cosmetic flaws. I hope to have them finished and some pictures posted within the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment